On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> What would it take to get cdn.debian.net become a service provided by
> the project? In other words, cdn.debian.org, instead of cdn.debian.net.

I think DNS hacks are the wrong approach in the long run.

The recursors people use are no longer always close to themselves.

Even if they were, geodns does not always give the right answer - we are
seing this problem now already with security, and that's very coarse
having only per-continent resolution.  The addition of the new south
american mirror made stuff worse for some parts of Uruguay because their
net to north america is way better than their link to Brazil.

Playing well with dnssec is another concern.

I'd really like to see support for sane mirror selection in apt itself,
possibly with archive support (i.e. list of mirrors somewhere on
ftp.d.o).  That would allow apt to for instance retry on a different
server if the first one it tried does not work for some reason, and
maybe even report the problem to a central mirror.

Cheers,
weasel