On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 12:57:29PM +0100, Carsten Hey wrote:
[...]
> How should new people know that they don't get a copy of replies
> to their messages unless they explicitly request one?

Maybe it's a generational difference... as I expect did authors of
the code of conduct, I came up on bulletin boards and Usenet in the
80s, where it was common courtesy to read any FAQ, CoC or other
relevant documentation (and even lurk for a while if possible) to
get a sense of the community's prevailing practices and culture
before participating in discussion. Every culture, no matter its
size, has distinct conventions and taboos, and not endeavoring to
learn them first before attempting to interact often results in
friction.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fu...@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fu...@yuggoth.org);