* Philip Hands <p...@hands.com> [110413 12:54]:
> This strikes me as suboptimal, since one could use the disk space
> allocated to /tmp as extra swap and then allocate a tmpfs of that size
> to be mounted on /tmp with no effect other than allowing the system to
> have access to more swap than it would have otherwise had (of course,
> that's probably more than it needs, so instead you could just save some
> disk space that would otherwise be left generally unused by overloading
> the swap usage with /tmp usage.
>
> Therefore, in the multi-partition setup, I think we should also default
> to having /tmp on tmpfs.

This has both the disadvantage of a system then having swap (given the
big memory sizes one currently has and the big difference between RAM
and disk access times, having swap is often quite a disadvantage) and
of mixing several different things (/tmp is usually something simply
filling over time, so without low enough limits one risks that something
important is sometime not working because of missing RAM).

        Bernhard R. Link