On Thu, 26 May 2011 23:26:26 +0200
Luk Claes <l...@debian.org> wrote:

> On 05/26/2011 11:55 AM, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >>
> >> Am I right in thinking that this is the process people should follow?
> >>
> >> if depended-on:
> >>     if dependency_libs:
> >>         clear the dependency_libs
> >>     else:
> >>         do nothing (until you are no longer depended-on)

Even when depended-on, the dependency_libs field can be cleared,
the .la file itself though cannot be removed.

> >> else:
> >>     if dependency_libs:
> >>         clear the dependency_libs
> >>
> >>     if you are confident that it won't break anything:
> >>         delete the .la file entirely

If the only listing is dependency_libs, then the .la file can be
removed as long as the package itself doesn't use the .la for plugins.
If it does (and maintainers of such packages already know if their
package is affected), clear the dependency_libs.

> > Clearing the dependency_libs is always safe, afaics, so I'd rather say it is
> > something like
> >
> > if depended-on
> >     clear dependency_libs
> > else
> >     remove *.la files
>
> There are some good reasons to keep some specific *.la files around,
> that's why I'm not aiming at removing them, but at least have the real
> problem solved.
>
> So I suggest:
>
> if dependency_libs
>       clear dependency_libs

If it is just dependency_libs and there are no plugin issues, it IS
safe to remove the .la file rather than adding sed-based processing.

See these messages and pages for more information:

http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval

Neil Williams
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/