Cyril Brulebois <k...@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Raphael Hertzog <hert...@debian.org> (29/05/2011):
>> from time to time I hear some rumblings about how "3.0 (quilt)"
>> mixes badly with VCS. Indeed, one of the primary goals of the format
>> was to not require prior knowledge of the patch system to be able to
>> modify a package.
>
> thanks for trying to improve the situation.
>
>> b/ modify dpkg-source --before-build to keep a trace of the fact that
>>    it applied the patches (for example by creating
>>    .pc/dpkg-source-auto-applied) and in that case have dpkg-source
>>    --after-build unapply the patches so that we're back to a clean
>>    state after a succesful build.
>>    If the build fails, we'd keep the patches applied.
>>
>> My preference goes to b/ because it doesn't require changes for
>> people who like to keep the patches applied in their VCS too. And
>> it's the principle of least surprise, you keep the same state afer a
>> build than you had before the build (so it's still ok for people who
>> rely on the scenario unpack/hack/rebuild).
>>
>> Comments? Does this look reasonable?
>
> I think that from 1.0 format, a use case is still broken with that
> approach:
>  - build a package
>  - install its binaries
>  - check the behaviour is the same as with the package in the archive
>    (i.e. rebuilding doesn't fix the issue magically)
>  - hack hack hack
>  - debuild|dpkg-buildpackage -b -nc
>  → oh, files were patched/unpatched/changed, you get to rebuild a lot
>    of things, instead of just the relevant files
>
> Unfortunately I come empty-handed, but I wanted to mention that use
> case anyway.
>
> Mraw,
> KiBi.

How is that? The default would still be that patches are applied, right?
So nothing would get unpatched in the default case.

For the case of having a VCS with patches unapplied you have conflicting
goals. You want the patches applied to keep rebuild minimal and
unapplied to be able to VCS commit without clean/unapply. You can't have
both. For that case I suggest using ccache. Or maybe a
"debuild|dpkg-buildpackage -b -nc --no-unapply"?

MfG        Goswin