On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 18:56, Roger Leigh <rle...@codelibre.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 06:48:53PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Josh Triplett <j...@joshtriplett.org> writes:
>>
>> > I disagree; I think it leads to a significant burden.  Having /var
>> > separate requires pre-determining an appropriate size for it, and that
>> > will vary wildly between systems.  At a minimum it needs enough space
>> > for /var/cache/apt, which can grow to many gigabytes.  Servers with mail
>>
>> Dude, run apt-get autoclean in cron daily. :)
>
> packages.  I'm surprised it doesn't automatically remove
> outdated .debs when you update, and require special configuration
> not to do that.

As you seem to know the one-size-fits-all sane default for the
functionality implemented in apt's own cronscript, please report
a wishlist with these values and i am sure we will be happy to
incorporate it.

And please provide a valid email address in this report so we can
forward all messages complaining about these new default to you.

While looking forward to your bugreport,
Best regards

David Kalnischkies