On 12-02-19 at 08:44am, David Bremner wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:15:19 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard <d...@jones.dk>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, In my opinion that goes for sponsoring too: The sponsor should
> > add herself/himself in the changelog to clearly advertise to the
> > World whom within the Debian web of trust proof-read and uploaded
> > the packaging.
> >

> Hi Jonas;
>
> I understand the motivation, I think, of making sponsor responsibility
> more clear. But I think in general it is more important that the
> sponsor upload (or choose not to) a pristine package from the
> sponsoree.  This avoids situations where the sponsoree somehow feels
> sabotaged by changes after they last saw the package,

Obviously sponsors should not sabotage works of sponsorees.  Which
leaves the _feeling_ of sabotage.

I disagree that avoiding sponsorees _feeling_ sabotaged is more
important than documenting who in Debian changed something in Debian.

> and it also matches my understanding of what the responsibility of
> sponsoring is: to act as a gatekeeper, but not to promise any further
> maintenance of the package (other than orphaning of the sponsoree goes
> MIA).

The very act as gatekeeper is the responsibility I want more explicit.

(yes, I dislike the sponsoring system in general due to that lack of
responsibility inside Debian for the _maintainance_ of packages, but
that is a different issue: here I raise a concern only about visibility
of responsibility inside Debian in _releasing_ a package).

The key part is "inside Debian": We trust each other, but cannot trust
sponsorees (that's the whole reason for them needing a sponsor!), so
they need someone among us to take the responsibility on their behalf.
I want that responsibility clearly stated.

> We have both sponsoring and co-maintenance; there is no rule that says
> co-maintainers have have to be DD/DMs.

Since only DD/DMs can upload co-maintained packages, same rule applies
there.

Or did I miss your point?

> One suggestion that came up on IRC was to have the PTS track the
> "who-uploads" information to make it more convenient for
> non-developers (or just lazy developers ;) ) to access, and more
> visible.

That argument has come up before.  It is nice that our online machinery
can infer such information.  I still find it much better to simply
require that the changelog entry reflects in its final line the Debian
entity responsible for the packaging release.

 - Jonas