On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 12:46:40PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> It also means that I don't get a pile of noise in etckeeper from all the
> upgrades of default configurations, so that my commits to etckeeper primarily
> consist of my own local changes.

I don't personally use etckeeper but it strikes me that one advantage of
storing your /etc in a VCS would surely be being able to distinguish local and
system changes, perhaps storing each in a separate branch (with the merged
result matching the live /etc).  If etckeeper doesn't do this now, perhaps it
could do in future.