Hi,

(Caveat: I am not a dpkg-source maintainer.)

Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2012-05-15, Norbert Preining <prein...@logic.at> wrote:

>> Is there a rational behind not allowing any fuzz?
>
> I think it makes perfect sense to expect the patches to apply perfectly,
> so we don't rely on patch & quilt to be able to unfuzz things.

Indeed, unfuzzing involves guessing where the patch is supposed to
apply, and different versions of GNU patch (which is what quilt uses)
may make different guesses as patch gets smarter.  The same source
package producing a different unpacked result depending on the tools
in the surrounding environment does not sound like fun to me.

I can imagine dpkg-source or wrappers like git-buildpackage learning
to automatically refresh patches when generating the source package if
requested to do so, so it would only have to make the guess once.
Perhaps someone would like to work on that?

Thanks,
Jonathan