On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 02:38:14PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Roger Leigh <rle...@codelibre.net> writes:
>
> > With the above approach, the only hard question is how to set the
> > ownership during the package build.  fakeroot handles this just fine,
> > but it does require the user/group to be present on the build
> > system, which will not always be the case.  Is there an alternative
> > means to set/override the ownership during packing of a tarfile?
>
> Shouldn't be to hard to make fakeroot also create fake users and groups
> specified in debian/passwd and debian/group (or similar).

fakeroot is the wrong level to do this.  Think about how you are
dependent upon the NSS databases and you need a valid db for
the chown/chmod commands to work.  Coupled with the fact that
fakeroot is not required for building, I don't think this is a
good plan.  A wrapper around or replacement for chown/chmod is a
possibility; this could store the changes in a file, rather than
change the on-disc perms, ready for dpkg-deb to use.

> That just leaves the question of wether dpkg uses uid/gid or symbolic
> names when unpacking debs.

I think this one is clear: it must be symbolic since the uids/gids
aren't static.  Unless you want to provide a package-specific
mapping in the control data, and I can't see that gains much, since
it makes unpacking unnecessarily complex.  If it's symbolic, you
simply just extract it.

Regards,
Roger

--