Hi,

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 09:05:21AM +0200, Olе Streicher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just discovered that debuild does not behave as I would expect from
> the maintainer's guide [1]:

You should say :-)

I just discovered that debuild does not behave as it is described in the
maintainer's guide.  So the maintainer's guide can be called buggy but ...

> | Cleaning the source and rebuilding the package from your user account
> | is as simple as:
> | $ debuild
> [...]
> | You can clean the source tree as simply as:
> | $ debuild clean
>
> This gives an error if the "dh_clean" does not work on the unpatched
> source, since "debuild" reverts all patches, but "debuild clean" does
> not apply then. I filed a bug report for this [2], including a simple
> example package, but the maintainer doesn't see a problem here.

Interesting.

> For me, the behaviour doesn't look good since the state after "debuild"
> does not make sense to me: all files created during the build process
> (from the patches sources) are still there (including temporary ones),
> but the sources themself do not are not patched anymore. So, build
> results and sources do not fit together after this step. Even more, if
> during the build process one file that has a Debian patch is changed,
> unapplying the patch may fail even if the build change would be reverted
> during the clean process.
>
> What is the rationale behind the automatic reversal of the applied
> patches before a cleanup?

I do not know.  I tends to keep my VCS as patch removed.  So I liked
debuild to be this way.  I happened not to hit case when debuild clean
is problematic.

(I use debian/source/local-options  containing unapply-patches.)

It needs to be resolved at dpkg-buildpackage
http://bugs.debian.org/649531 with everything considered.  This is
certainly not debuild problem.

Osamu