On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:07:25PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:05:47 +0900, Charles Plessy <ple...@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >The tool you are looking for is "mk-build-deps" from the package
> >"devscripts".
>
> So one uses mk-build-deps to create a .deb containing the build
> dependencies as binary dependencites, put that .deb into an local
> aptable archive, run apt-get update and apt-get install $PACKAGE.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks this is terribly backwards as compared to
> hand-editing dpkg-checkbuildep's output to an apt-get install command
> line?

What I usually do is this:

* apt-get build-dep foo
    - just in case foo is in the archive already, and the build
      dependencies haven't changed a lot
* dpkg-checkbuilddeps
    - if it's only a couple of packages missing, I install them
      manually
    - if it's a lot of packages, I construct a complicated sed
      and awk and so on pipeline to extract the package names
      and feed those to apt-get install

That last bit could do with a helper. Or, ideally, dpkg-checkbuilddeps
could have an output mode that just lists the package names and could
be fed to apt-get install:

    apt-get install $(dpkg-checkbuilddeps --package-names-only)

I've been much too lazy to work on anything like that, though: I quite
rarely need more than a few extra packages installed after "apt-get
build-dep".

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers