On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Marc Haber <mh+debian-de...@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2013 11:56:15 +0200, Bastian Blank <wa...@debian.org>
> wrote:
>>Please re-read the policy, especially 2.5:
>>| Packages must not depend on packages with lower priority values
>>| (excluding build-time dependencies).
>
> IIRC that policy paragraph is from the times where our CD build
> software didn't follow dependencies when choosing packages for images.
> Afaik, they have been following dependencies for a decade now, so this
> policy paragraph could be removed.

Please don't. Various tools might depend on it. APT will e.g. refuse to
consider "required" packages from being autoremoved and while it is
fixed since squeeze, it used to boggle on violations (#583517).
It's also using the priorities in its scoring calculations to decide which
packages are more important to keep working (granted, dependencies will
 influence it too, but every point might count).

Lifting this requirement makes priorities useless in the end as an
"optional" package which is a dependency of an "important" package
is not "optional". It must be dealt with by software as well as people
as if it is important, so lets just mark it that way – or drop priorities
completely, but not some wishy-washy middle ground.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies