On Wed, 29 May 2013 19:45:06 -0400, Chris Knadle
<chris.kna...@coredump.us> wrote:
>I don't like the fact that the /etc/exim4/passwd.client
>file is in a plaintext format, but there are usually several such files on
>systems such that realistically we're only really "safe" as long as the
>machines we run haven't been broken into.

And if you think about things, it is clear that the client needs the
plaintext password to be able to use it.

Even if certificate authentication, the most secure authentication
scheme available today, is used, you need the private key on the
client.

>> That's exactly the point, and is why I would prefer not to write those
>> notifications into a file that no one ever looks at.  (Which is why I
>> don't find sending them to syslog much more appealing, since the average
>> desktop user is never going to look there either.)
>
>Somehow this problem reminds me of the "event log" used on "a popular
>operating system".  Most users don't read that log either.

This is partly caused by the utter unusability of the default program
delivered to read that binary log. Even the best Jvaqbjf people I know
need to be poked to use Rirag Ivrjre. Usually, this results in a quick
solution since the Jvaqbjf Event Log isn't as bad as its reputation
past the usual access method. But people rather continue blind
trial-and-error methods before taking a look at their logs.

Btw, I fear that systemd's binary logs are going to import this method
of inefficient work in our world. I surely hope I am wrong on this
count.

Greetings
Marc