On 30-05-13 12:16, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
> On 29/05/13 08:18, Chris Knadle wrote:
>>   - Exim is more popular
>>
>>     http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.201201/mxsurvey.html
>
> This is actually quite interesting.
>
> Given that Postfix is the default MTA on RHEL/CentOS, SLES (SUSE) and
> Ubuntu; meanwhile Exim is only the default on Debian (AFAIK).
>
> I wonder if this means that Debian is used in more mail servers than the
> rest of the distributions together.

>From the bottom of that page:

Exim (465,731 servers)

Version Number of Servers       Percent
4.69    368,005 79.02%
4.76    36,227  7.78%
4.72    20,387  4.38%
4.77    10,824  2.32%
4.67    8,297   1.78%
4.63    5,689   1.22%
Other   16,302  3.50%

4.69 was the version of exim that shipped with Lenny; squeeze shipped
with 4.72, wheezy with 4.80.

If these are indeed all Debian servers, that would mean that 79.02% of
44.23% of 45.88% of all MX servers queried by these people use a no
longer supported version of Debian.

(79.02%: all exim servers running 4.69; 44.23%: percentage of all
identifiable servers that is running exim; 45.88%: percentage of all MX
servers that is running an identifiable mail server)

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/