+++ Josh Triplett [2013-05-29 11:50 -0700]:
> Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > One problematic aspect are the various xul-ext-* packages currently
> > packaged. It's very likely that some of them will break with ESR17
> > and ESR24 in the future.
> >
> > However, there's not much we can do here. We can select a narrow (!)
> > set of important addons (e.g. enigmail for Icedove) that we will
> > keep in sync through stable-security, but that doesn't scale for
> > the full scale of Mozilla extensions currently packaged.
> >
> > In the future the majority of packages should thus rather be installed
> > through http://addons.mozilla.org instead of Debian packages.
>
> As a user of sid who also maintains various systems running stable, I
> rely on packages like xul-ext-adblock-plus to make it easier to install
> specific addons systemwide.  I find it much easier to install those via
> the Debian packaging system rather than a user-level mechanism that
> involves running Firefox as one or more target users (or more likely
> doing the equivalent of creating a xul-ext-* package for local use).  I
> realize that you can't maintain the full library of Firefox addons as
> packages, but I'm hoping that some of the most common and popular ones
> stick around and stay up to date, notably Adblock Plus, HTTPS
> Everywhere, and It's All Text.

Absolutely, and I'd like to add lazarus, noscript, ghostery, user-agent
switcher, and debian-buttons to that list of 'can't-live-without, worth
maintaining as packages' add-ons. (And Tab Mix Plus is exceedingly
handy too)

Obviously if no-one wants to maintain them then I guess we'll have to
get them the way everyone else does, but I certainly find real value
in having them packaged, and am pleased every time I can get an add-on
that way. Do we have helpers (as for CPAN and similar archives) to
make creation and maintenance of such packages simple? I'd assume they
were amenable to this approach, but am entirely unfamiliar with the
issues involved with keeping them synced with browsers.

If it wasn't too hard I'd be happy to maintain xul-ext-lazarus, for example.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/