On 10/27/2013 06:41 PM, Brian May wrote:

So my current understanding:

* Gnome use to depend on ConsoleKit.

* ConsoleKit is no longer maintained, and no one is interested in
maintaining it.

* As a result, Gnome switched to using the implementation from
systemd instead, as it has needed features and is actively being
maintained.

* Some people say this means it needs systemd running as pid=1, same
say it doesn't. Am still confused here.

* Some people say that the parts of systemd that Gnome uses should be
split into a separate package, so, in theory, it should be possible
to install just those parts without installing all of systemd.
However the systemd object to doing this (I missed the reasons behind
this).

One missing point: the systemd-project-derived component in question,
logind, used to work fine without systemd itself but now apparently no
longer does.

(As far as I can tell this is the actual root of the problem, at least
for this iteration of the argument: the fact that logind now requires
systemd.)

* Gnome is said to work fine even on platforms that don't have
systemd installed. Does this mean that systemd is optional?

My understanding from what I've read is that it "works fine" except in
that the features which the ConsoleKit-or-logind dependency provides
aren't available. That's derived from indirect statements from several
people in various parts of the discussion; if I'm wrong on that, someone
please correct me.

* For reasons I don't properly understand, some people seem to think
a decision is needed to make or not make systemd the default in
Debian.

Have I missed anything or got anything wrong?

With the above modifications, looks about accurate to me, for whatever
that may be worth.

--
   The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger