On Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 15:00, David Kalnischkies wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 01:38:51PM +0100, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > this is just a pledge to you all fellow debian developers to update your
> > build environment before you build a package.
> >
> > This mostly affects transitions, f.e.:
> >
> > https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/db5.3.html
>
> The problem is "just" that apt isn't following your transition.
> In fact, on all my machines libdb-dev is on autohold…
>
> $ LANG=C apt-get dist-upgrade -s -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 2
> Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 2
> Investigating (0) libdb-dev [ amd64 ] < 5.1.7 -> 5.3.0 > ( libdevel )
> Broken libdb-dev:amd64 Conflicts on libdb5.1-dev [ amd64 ] < 5.1.29-7 > (
> libdevel )
>   Considering libdb5.1-dev:amd64 -1 as a solution to libdb-dev:amd64 -1
>   Holding Back libdb-dev:amd64 rather than change libdb5.1-dev:amd64
> Investigating (0) libdb5.3-dev [ amd64 ] < none -> 5.3.28-3 > ( libdevel
> )
> Broken libdb5.3-dev:amd64 Conflicts on libdb5.1-dev [ amd64 ] < 5.1.29-7
> > ( libdevel )
>   Considering libdb5.1-dev:amd64 -1 as a solution to libdb5.3-dev:amd64
>   -1
>   Holding Back libdb5.3-dev:amd64 rather than change libdb5.1-dev:amd64
>  Try to Re-Instate (1) libdb-dev:amd64
> Done
> Done
> Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
> Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
> Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   libdb-dev
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

JFTR This is first time I have ever heard of this. There's no bug report
related to this, so I can hardly do anything about that if I am not
aware of the issue.

> If you care for an explanation of the output:
> https://lists.debian.org/deity/2014/01/msg00133.html

This really doesn't explain how to solve this problem and get the
apt-get to upgrade libdb-dev.

And no I am not going to allow simultaneous installation of libdb5.1-dev
and libdb5.3-dev. I have seen too much broken builds related to
compiling with X.Y headers and linking with X.Z headers. This would be a
way to enter the madness (Berkeley DB is very close to DLL hell).

So any ideas how to force the libdb-dev upgrade? I am going to remove
libdb5.1*-dev in couple of days, but I just want to make sure that
maintainers directly depending on libdb5.1*dev (and not the generic
package) have a time to fix their packages, e.g.:

https://bugs.debian.org/738645
https://bugs.debian.org/738641
https://bugs.debian.org/738650

spamprobe has been NMUed by me since it's orphaned and gridengine has
been uploaded to DELAYED/10.

exim4 was promptly fixed by it's maintainers (and thank you for that
very quick response).

I am going to wait for openldap folks to react, and then I will stop
building -dev packages out of src:db (same thing that has happened with
db4.7 and db4.8 in wheezy).

> So, while I am not a DD and therefore completely unresponsible for your
> transition not working as you wish, I would suggest that you might not
> want to point out the faults of your fellow DDs if you don't work on
> your own as this is hardly the first time that this happens and isn't
> resolved by using a pristine environment…

I wasn't pointing to anybody's faults, I was merely asking them to
please upgrade their build environment, when they are responsible for
packages under transition.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ond...@sury.org>