On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:16:55PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Paul Wise <p...@debian.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 5:40 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> >> Having both sets of libraries in the archive at the same time is what I
> >> called "insane" in the RFP and where I expect additional probems due
> >> to:
>
> > Also, I expect the security team would be unhappy to have to fix
> > security issues twice.
>
> If they're now diverging separate source bases, this isn't really
> different than the other cases where upstreams have forked and for various
> reasons we've found uses for both implementations.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading of Jonas' suggestion is
that he wants someone to go through all the hassle of having both libav
and FFmpeg in testing at the same time, so that the Debian Multimedia
Maintainers "can sensibly compare them in the context of an upcoming
stable Debian release" and can then choose one of them.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed