On 02/17/2014 05:25 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 11:03 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> I don't see how I am rewriting things in a wrong way. Do you want to
>> argue about the exact meaning of "broken" now?
>
> Indeed, words are important. For me, when I read "broken" it means bugs
> upstream, and I'm convince the problem is configuration, which is a
> completely different thing.

Ok, just take it with a grain of salt next time. You know what I wanted
to express which is that just because someone is a DD, they do not
automatically know the solution to every problem.

In any case, since you mentioned that you have an .asoundrc in your
$HOME, it might be noteworthy to add what people using PulseAudio
should have in this file:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

This basically tells ALSA applications - which don't know anything
about PA - to use the PulseAudio-ALSA backend. Thus, such applications
think they use an ALSA device when, in fact, they use PulseAudio.

These show up as ALSA in the "Applications" tab in the PA sound
preferences during playback.

It might be sensible to add a global asound.conf in /etc/ to resolve
this issue for every ALSA-only application.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaub...@debian.org