Josselin Mouette <j...@debian.org> writes:
> Le vendredi 28 mars 2014 à 11:55 -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

>> I realize that doing that well is not horribly challenging, but that is
>> the most common server use case (and even desktop), and ifupdown does
>> it quite well.

> Come on. We all use ifupdown on our servers just because it is the
> default and works well enough. Bringing up a pair of static IPs and a
> bonding link is not very challenging. But we shouldn’t judge a network
> management tool based on how to achieve the simplest task: any tool will
> do that. Even Red Hat’s /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, despite its
> horrible design and antique syntax, works well enough for most of its
> users.

> And in the desktop case, I disagree that ifupdown does the job. User
> applications want to be notified of the network’s status, and it
> requires more than what ifupdown can offer.

That sounds like vehement agreement with what I just said.  :)

Having used both, ifupdown, despite its problems, is certainly better than
the Red Hat approach in /etc/sysconfig.

>> I don't want to lose that, and I don't want to add a bunch of
>> complexity in order to satisfy that case.  I think there will always be
>> a place for a very *simple* system to handle that case with some pre
>> and post hooks for things like iptables rule installation.

> This is one of the possible scopes of systemd-networkd. But I think it
> is being designed more for cases like the initramfs, where you cannot
> have a full-blown networking management tool like NM.

It's quite possible that systemd-networkd will eventually become a good
tool to do this.  It just isn't now.  Now would be a wonderful time for
people who care to get involved, if they feel like that would be a good
long-term solution, since it would be much easier to design a conversion
path from existing ifupdown systems at this early stage in the project.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>