Ben Finney <b...@benfinney.id.au> writes:

>>> If it's in the Debian source package, it is distributed as part of
>>> Debian.

> (I'm assuming, from the lack of response to this point, that this is
> uncontroversial.)

You should probably not assume that.  Rather, you should probably assume
that most people are uninterested in having this argument for the 14th
time.

I continue to hold to my position that distributing sourceless files in
source packages, provided they are under a free license and not used as
part of the process of building binary package, is a nuisance rather than
a meaningful DFSG violation and not worth spending project time and
resources on.  That said, I do understand why people want simple rules
with no exceptions, even if those rules lead to moderately nonsensical
corner cases.

I very much doubt that further discussion of this is going to change
anyone's mind, and I suspect we will simply continue to disagree on the
requirements until such a time as someone proposes a GR to clarify this
(if that ever happens).  I don't care enough about the issue to do that
myself.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>