Quoting Thorsten Glaser (2014-04-28 19:22:11)
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr <at> jones.dk> writes:
>
>> Please elaborate what you mean can "trigger later".
>>
>> Simple example: Choosing via debconf to have adduser create homes
>> below "/srv/home" instead of the default "/home".
>
> Ah, sure.
>
> Admin installs adduser. adduser defaults to /home.
> Admin now installs your package. adduser now defaults to /srv/home.
> Admin changes adduser's default to /u but keeps all other changes your
> configuration package makes, as they only disagrees with this one.
> Admin runs apt-get upgrade, pulling in a new micro version of your
> package that changes something totally unrelated to adduser.
> Now, adduser MUST NOT change away from /u.

Thanks - your point makes sense for me now.  I agree with you about
above.

> At least in Debian packages… but yes, configuration management is
> hard, and will remain so at least as long as #48717 (yes, five digits)
> is not fixed.

Thanks for that pointer.  Automated conffile handling is IMO a related
but different matter to automated debconf handling: The former is tied
to line-based diff'ing and patching, which the latter is not.  But I do
agree with you that configuration management is hard - no matter the
mechanisms used available in Debian today!

 - Jonas