Quoting Bas Wijnen (2014-05-04 16:33:08)
> On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 09:14:50AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>>>I don't think this is very clear from the guidelines, and I have had
>>>mixed responses from maintainers when reporting upstream bugs,
>>>varying from "thanks, I'll report it upstream for you" to "stop
>>>wasting my time, report it upstream instead".
>>
>> While I find the latter reaction a nuisance, I understand that
>> maintainers of huge packages with an understaffed maintainer team
>> tend to do that. The situation is less than nice, but I'd rather see
>> maintainers' time spent on packaging in those cases.
>
> Yes, I can understand that maintainers set their priorities; I do that
> myself as well.  The problem I have with the latter is not that I
> should report it upstream (it's not ideal, but understandable), but
> the "stop wasting my time" part, which implies that I'm wrong to send
> reports about upstream bugs to Debian maintainers in general.

I believe following https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting should *never*
be a waste of time.  Annoying, maybe, but not "waste of time".

Bugs reported twice or without sufficient data may be waste of time -
response should then be to point to kindle point to the documented
procedures for bugreporting (either the generic one or a more specific
one for the team or package),

I cannot imagine *any* example of a bug reported reported according to
guidelines being a waste of time.

Can you provide examples of that kind of response?

Or perhaps think up an example to spark my imagination (and this
discussion)?

 - Jonas