Hi all,

my development system running unstable failed to start X server after an
dist-upgrade two days ago.

After a bit of investigation I found out that the radeon module is not
loaded at bootup anymore. To get the graphical login back, the following
commands as root were needed:

    # modprobe radeon
    # systemctl restart kdm

Why radeon is not loaded at boot anymore is a mystery to me. All other
modules from /etc/modules (symlinked as
/etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf) are active after bootup.

Having no idea of systemd so far, I looked up a few manpages. This quote
from the manpage systemd-modules-load.service(8) caught my attention:

    systemd-modules-load.service is an early-boot service that loads
    kernel modules from static configuration.

So my guess was that with systemd the modules listed in /etc/modules
must be available from the initial ramdisk. To verify if this is the
case, I added the radeon module to the initial ramdisk:

    # echo radeon >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    # update-initramfs -u

This change actually fixed the problem for me: After reboot the X server
starts just fine and I get my graphical login back.

But looking at the other modules in /etc/modules these actually get
loaded even though they are not included in my initrd (except for the
loop.ko module).

Can anybody give me a hint what is going on here? This could be a
upgrade problem for jessie as I am sure there are many systems out there
that still load some modules by means of /etc/modules-load.d.

Greetings, Torsten