On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:21:15AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > In other words: what isn't handled properly?  What should happen, and what
> > does
> > happen?
>
> Consider a system which has systemd installed, systemd-sysv *not* installed,
> and systemd used as PID 1 via init=/bin/systemd.  Since systemd-sysv is not
> already installed, "systemd-shim | systemd-sysv" will pull in systemd-shim
> instead, which will atttempt to supply services that conflict with systemd's.

Sounds like those packages should conflict with each other.  It isn't a reason
to uninstall anything.

More generally, the order of dependencies doesn't matter for what options the
user can choose.  If one of those options is buggy, it shouldn't be an option.

> we want to make sure that only the users who specifically *want* a
> non-default init run one,

I, as a user, did not expect to be moved over to systemd, and given the
discussions about it and the older TC decisions about network manager getting
its dependencies right (to stop forcing all of gnome onto the user's system),
it felt to me as something that was sneaked past me.  I don't want Debian to do
that.  I don't really care about what init system I use, but I do care that I
can trust my system.  When this happened, I was thinking "what else are they
going to force onto my system when I'm not watching closely enough?"  That's my
default attitude towards any install or upgrade on a proprietary system, and I
most certainly don't want to grow it for Debian users.

> It's easy enough for any user who *does* care to select a different set of
> installed packages.

It's not so much about caring which init system to use.  It's about being in
control over your own computer.  There are many packages that I use and while I
like them being upgraded to new versions, I don't like them to be replaced with
different programs.  Not unless I ask for it.

The exception is when the program I use is no longer supported.  When that
happens, I'll need something else, and using whatever is default on new
installs is a good choice in that case.  But again, as long as other init
systems are supported, I don't want to do anything to continue using them.  Not
even something "easy".

Thanks,
Bas