On 25/06/14 19:51, Svante Signell wrote:
> Looks like consolekit is the package fork if such a thing ever happens.
> There are still patches, mainly for kFreeBSD, from 2013-2014 in the
> freedesktop BTS since the last release. When was the Debian switch from
> consolekit to policykit-1 made?

ConsoleKit is not an alternative to PolicyKit; if anything, it's an
alternative to part of the functionality of systemd-logind. The upstream
maintainers of ConsoleKit consider it to have design and/or
implementation flaws (I'm not sure which, possibly both), which led to
its replacement by systemd-logind.

In the past, PolicyKit could only use ConsoleKit to answer "who is
logged in, and where?"; then it could use either ConsoleKit or
systemd-login1; and now it can only use systemd-login1. I believe the
rationale for removing ConsoleKit support in PolicyKit was either
"ConsoleKit is unmaintained" or "ConsoleKit is fundamentally flawed in
some way" or some combination of the two.

If you resurrect CK, you would either need to persuade the PK
maintainers that your CK fork will continue to be actively maintained
and reinstating support for it will not cause excessive maintenance
effort for them, or fork PK too. Giving a resurrected CK the same D-Bus
APIs as systemd-logind, or giving a forked PK the same APIs as the real
PK, would be one way to reduce its maintenance burden for projects that
rely on their functionality.