On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 04:16:01PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while git is the most popular VCS for packaging, there's no clear rules
> on what you can expect in a random git packaging repository listed
> in Vcs-Git. I would like to fix this so that:
> - we can extract more useful data from the git repositories
> - we can more easily share our git repositories with upstreams
>   and downstreams
> - we start to converge on some conventions even though we might
>   continue to use different git helper tools
>
> I want to use the DEP process for this. But before I can write a first
> draft I would like to have your ideas of what we should include
> in such a document.
>
> Some initial questions and possible answers:
>
> - how do we name the various branches?
>
>   - <vendor>/master for the main development trunk (aka unstable in Debian)
>   - <vendor>/<codename> for alternate versions

The gbp manual has a recommended branch layout:

http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.import.html#GBP.BRANCH.NAMING

which could serve as a basis. There's plenty of room for improvement,
e.g. the case where one tracks upstream git isn't yet mentioned (I
started to follow the above layout also in this case).

>   The goal here is to be able to host in the same repository the branches for
>   multiple cooperating distributions (at least so that downstream can
>   clone the debian respository and inject their branches next to the
>   debian branches).
>
> - how do we tag the upstream releases?
>
>   - upstream/<version>
>   (note: we don't need an "upstream" branch, having the good tag for any
>   release that the distros are packaging is enough, it can point to a
>   synthetic commit built with tools like git-import-orig or to a real
>   upstream commit)

Agreed, although having a branch (and recommended naming convention)
can be useful.

> - how do we tag the package releases?
>
>   - pkg/<version>
>   (note: git-buildpackage uses debian/<version> but I find this confusing
>   as we then also have the "debian/" prefix for ubuntu or kali uploads, we
>   don't need the vendor prefix as the usual versioning rules embed the
>   downstream distribution name (e.g. 1.0-0ubuntu1) and thus there can't be
>   any conflict on the namespace, keeping a prefix is important to easily
>   differentiate tags created by upstream developers from tags created
>   by packagers)

The tag format is configurable in gbp and I'd expect downstreams to
use a different name space (e.g. ubuntu/<version>). This makes it
simpler to tab complete (or delete) certain groups of tags. A patch to
make the tag message configurable too is waiting to be applied. pkg/
is too generic since we'll have more of the RPM support upstreamed
soonish.

Cheers,
 -- Guido