Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> writes:

> I'd start with:
> * dc: a RPN calculator is pretty esoteric, bc is for "normal people".
> * db5.1-util: we're on db5.3, and I don't see much util here.
> * m4: a really obscure language.  Used basically only for autoconf scripts,
>   and that use is covered by autoconf's dependency.
> * texinfo: 'info' should be enough for most uses.

+1 on these.

> * telnet: dead for 19 years.  Used only by those who misspell 'nc' and hope
>   for no 0xff bytes.
> * wamerican: what use is a wordlist with no users?

Both of these fall under the "anyone familiar with UNIX would go 'where
the hell is X' if the package isn't installed" provision, I think.  Yes,
nc is better than telnet, but telnet is part of a *lot* of people's finger
memory, and I think removing the package violates the principle of least
surprise here.  It's not very large.

wamerican provides /usr/share/dict/words, which is widely used in a
variety of strange places you wouldn't expect, like random test suites.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>