Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
        You know, or at least should know, as well as I that one can
        centralize the code to do all of those things, and abstract them out of
        daemons into a service manager, without that service manager being
        process #1.

I don’t know whether you are aware of how a UNIX system works, but you
might not have heard of how orphan processes are managed.

>From waitpid(2):
       If a parent process terminates, then its "zombie" children (if any) are
       adopted by init(8), which automatically performs a wait to  remove  the
       zombies.

Said otherwise, it is not possible to write a reliable service manager
without integrating it to what happens in process #1.

--
 .''`.        Josselin Mouette
: :' :