Hi,

Quoting Salvo Tomaselli (2014-11-19 20:19:59)
> Generic question. In my experience some upstream include some
> redistributable binary files. For example some binary stuff to create
> a .app on osX, minified javascript, and whatever.
>
> Now, assuming that:
>
> - these files are redistributable, so there is no legal problem in
> hosting them on debian
> - these files are not installed nor used in the build process on
> debian, they are just inside the upstream tarball.
>

> Should the upstream tarball be repackaged to remove them, or not?

Permission to redistribute is the first of the Debian Free Software
Guidelines (DFSG¹).  Only when all those guidelines are covered is it ok
to redistribute with Debian.

One reason for repackaging tarballs is that even though we have been
granted permission to redistribute some binary parts, we cannot (without
too much hassle) ensure that we have sources available for them.

 - Jonas

¹ https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines