Quoting Matthias Klumpp (2014-11-20 17:15:50)
> > Quoting Vincent Danjean (2014-11-20 14:25:59)
> >>   Hi,

> >>   I did not know that. It is very interesting.
> >>
> >> But, is there a way to be notified at upgrade time that the system
> >> service file has been modified when there is local (partial or full)
> >> changes ?
> >
> > I was wondering the same.
> At least for the systemd-case, you can easily notice changes using the
> systemd-delta command:
>  $> systemd-delta --diff
> This will list all overrides and the differences in case something has
> changed.

Thanks.  Sounds like only a diff between system-provided and
sysadmin-overrided config, however: That might help for the latter part
of the question - notify only when system service file is overridden
locally (by suppressing notification if systemd-deta is empty).

How to do first part of the question - be notified with a diff between
old versus new _effective_ config when a package update changes a system
service file?

With conffiles, sysadmin can be notified on changes by simply changing
whitespace to the conffile (as that invalidates md5sum).

 - Jonas