On 2015-05-06 12:21:14 +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> On 05/06/2015 11:34 AM, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> > cron is part of POSIX.
>
> The problem here is what the expectations of an experienced UNIX person
> are... I hopefully count as having some experience, but I don't expect
> cron to be available everywhere (unlike say awk); I would still expect
> it to be part of a "reasonably small but not too limited character-mode
> system" (that is "standard" priority).

Personally I expect cron to be any on my machines, but it is not that
bad if it not installed. At least the user could wonder at the same
time whether he needs something more, such as anacron.

And if it is missing, the user would notice it when he first tries
to use it. It is not like if it were some hidden feature.

> Note that I believe this has changed over time: with the advent of VMs
> and containers the expectations what a system should minimally provide
> have become smaller.
>
> I'll not comment on where I see emacs and vim ;)

But why is "nano" important? I suspect that most users use emacs or vim.

> > http://www.unix.com/apropos-man/posix/1/cron/
>
> Note that this also includes the following requirement:
>
> | If standard output and standard error are not redirected by commands |
> executed from the crontab entry, any generated output or errors shall |
> be mailed, via an implementation-defined method, to the user.
>
> That requires something to deliver mail. However I really don't think we
> want a MTA to be at "important" priority.
>
> > So either we fix the policy or cron needs to stay in 'important'.
>
> "at", "m4", "mailx", ... are also not at "important", though required by
> POSIX.

And I certainly wouldn't see c99 as "important", also required by POSIX.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>