I have a forum php / mysql software that I need to create a .deb for. I
would like to create the .deb file so that it can be installed into the
apache2 default-site folder, xampp htdocs, or both but I have noticed that
both phpbb3 and mediawiki deb files installs into /var/lib and /usr/share.
Is there a reason why they install into those folders and not into
/usr/share/apache2/default-site ?

The goal is to have my open source forum software added to the debian
software center / package manager. What should I do first to try to get the
software into the debian repository?