Quoting Eduard Bloch (2015-07-23 19:43:46)
> The problem: I see lots of $(shell ...) stuff [in debian/rules files].
> In boost, there are about 12 such calls. And they run
> dpkg-architecture or dpkg-parsechangelogs or similar commands.

debian/rules is a make file.  In the make language, variables can be
expanded either immediately (similar to shell) or when used.

This is expensive (when used multiple times as is the case with Boost):

pyversions = $(shell pyversions -rv) $(shell py3versions -rv)

Changing to early expanded saves CPU cycles:

pyversions := $(shell pyversions -rv) $(shell py3versions -rv)

Hope that helps,

 - Jonas