On Jul 30 2015, David Kalnischkies <da...@kalnischkies.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:45:01AM -0700, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> The only think it doesn't yet do is that if
>>
>> - a is automatically installed
>> - b is automatically installed
>> - c is manually installed and depends on a|b
>>
>> Either a or b can be removed. But I don't think apt* handled that either.
>
> This example makes it quite obvious that your requirements are "keep
> a minimal set of packages installed" while the requirement of libapt's
> autoremove is "suggest only packages for removal which are completely
> safe to remove".

Yes (though the main point of my email was to point out another way to
get rid of dependencies after a metapackage has been uninstalled).

> An algorithm can't reasonably decide if C is using A or B (or both) to
> provide one of its features (the one which is the reason for the
> depends, so that must be a pretty important feature as C is so useless
> without it that it is better removed).

Indeed. But debfoster is designed to be interactive, so it could easily
ask if the user wants to remove one of them, or keep both.

> Of course, a technically adapt user can decide which one is really
> used/needed by C and/or revise his decision mistake later on by
> reinstalling a package, but this is a maintenance cost – and a cost
> libapt doesn't want to nor can force upon all its users.

Yeah. This my hope that maybe this will be added to debfoster at some
point.

Best,
-Nikolaus