hi all,

recently on IRC, i asked why "to exclude specific archs in
Recommends/Suggests?".

the use case is, that some package "foo" might not be available for a
specific arch (e.g. FTBFS on hurd-any), and package "bar" would still
like to recommend it (since "bar" is used together with "foo" 'in all
but unusual installations' - and hurd-any is considered an 'unusual'
though possible environment, 'unusual' mainly because "bar" is not
available, and also because it's hurd...).

my intuition tells me to use "Recommends: foo", and everyone can use
"bar" and will be happy (though the hurd-people less so, because they
don't get the extra features that 'foo' provides until somebody fixes
that FTBFS).

however, one of the first answers i got was: "recommending a
non-existent package is forbidden".

now §2.2.1 of our policy indeed says that 'packages in main must not
require or recommend a package outside of main for compilation or
execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Pre-Depends",
"Depends", "Recommends" [...] relationship on a non-main package)'.

my first reaction was that the intention of this paragraph is mainly to
keep the system uncontaminated from non-free and contrib, but while the
§2.2.1 refers a lot to DFSG, the quote above is explicitely "in
addition" to the DFSG, so it *might* apply.

so my question is:

Does §2.2.1 indeed apply to Recommends for packages that are in the main
archive but not available for a given architecture?

If so, what is the reasoning?

Also: does the "main archive" contain multiple architectures, or do we
have a main archive per architecture? (if the former, then i think that
§2.2.1 does not apply).

mgfsadr
IOhannes