On Sat, 2015-10-03 at 22:06 +0100, Andrew Kanaber wrote:
> Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> > On 28 September 2015 at 22:44, Paul Wise <p...@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Data point: I recently heard of at least one person who will need to
> > > buy new hardware as a result of this change.
> > Which hopefully is (a) cheap and (b) pay-off via electricity bill due
> > to improved power-efficiency ?!
>
> Not for the Via Eden ESP 533 (TDP 5W, not a 686 for lack of CMOV) I'm still
> using in my TV box, and probably not in general since the non-686 processors
> still in use are likely to be low-power embedded chips.

There are several Atom models with lower TDP than that.

> Ben mentioned
> Vortex86, and AMD Geode can also be problematic not supporting NOPL (and
> returns CPUID family 5, i.e 586).

The Linux kernel doesn't use it in any 32-bit configuration:
https://git.kernel.org/linus/ba0593bf553c450a03dbc5f8c1f0ff58b778a0c8

gas was also changed to not generate long-NOPs when the target is the
generic 'i686' rather than a specific core:
https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils-cvs/2010-08/msg00057.html

So the Geode processors should remain supported.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Any smoothly functioning technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.