Hello Vincent

On Wednesday 11 November 2015 17:11:13 Vincent Danjean wrote:
>   I looked at [2] (cme seems really powerfull to offer automatic
> upgrade/merge of config files). I've two questions after reading the wiki:
>
> 1) I vaguely recall recommendations/requirement that a package
>   should/must not depends on a file in /usr/share/doc/pkg for its
>   work (as this directory can be removed to get some place).
>   The wiki says that "[LCDd.conf] is now delivered in
>   /usr/share/doc/lcdproc and not in /etc/". Won't /usr/share/lcdproc
>   be a better place ?

cme does not use original LCDd.conf when upgrading user's configuration.
Original LCDd.conf is placed in /usr/share/doc so that user wanting to bail
out of automatic upgrade has a reference file to help him do manual edition of
/etc/LCDd.conf.

> 2) "user will be asked *once* by debconf whether to use automatic
>   configuration upgrades or not. * no further question will be asked
>   (no ucf style questions)."
>   Why not preparing (unconditionally) the new version of the configuration
>   file with cmd [cme] and then use ucf to install it in /etc? That way,
>   the user would be prompted only when he has done new changes since
>   the last package upgrade (and the "install maintainer version" prompt
>   would then install the cme built config file)

Err, I don't really understand the problem you're trying to solve here...

Are you suggesting to prompt user to approve that his "new changes since
the last package upgrade" are propagated to the new version of the
configuration file ??

All the best.

https://wiki.debian.org/PackageConfigUpgrade#Apply_configuration_upgrade_using_an_existing_model:_lcdproc_example

--