On Fri, 2015-12-04 at 14:04 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Aurélien,
>
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 10:06:11AM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > On 2015-12-03 17:33, James Cloos wrote:
> > > The latest glibc update breaks most sid installs on (typically leased)
> > > openvz platforms because it requires a newer kernel version that most
> > > openvz vendors advertize.
>
> > > Most openvz run on kernels based on 2.6.32, often with significant
> > > updates.  These platforms are an important segment, given how affordable
> > > they are.  And Debian "stable" is often too archaic for many needs which
> > > fit nicely on a small inexpensive server.
>
> > If you consider Debian "stable" as too archaic, I am missing words to
> > qualify a 2.6.32 kernel released in 2009. Prehistoric maybe?
>
> I was going to write something similar, with references to what other
> distributions are shipping; but in the course of investigating, I found that
> RHEL7 and SLES11 both shipped 2.6.32 kernels that are supported until 2020
> and 2019 respectively.
[...]

RHEL 6 has 2.6.32 (with about 10,000 patches on top); RHEL 7 has 3.10
(although I've heard that it's closer to 3.12).

SLES11 SP1 had 2.6.32, but later service packs updated the kernel to
3.0 and I don't believe SP1 is really supported any more.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. - Harrison