On 2016-01-30 at 04:51, Paul Gevers wrote:

> Hi Frederic-Emmanuel,
>
> On 30-01-16 09:30, PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel wrote:

>> Do you know if dbconfig-common will integrate a way to switch from
>> mysql to mariadb in the near futur. something whcih can help do the
>> migration database from mysql to mariadb.
>
> Actually, I don't think that is in scope of dbconfig-common. I would
> rather expect that MariaDB would provide that functionality. It is
> required for more packages and situations than just those supported
> by dbconfig-common.

Are there even cases where this is necessary?

Within the last year, I encountered an unacceptable - but intentional -
change in the MySQL client interface, so I removed the MySQL packages
and installed the MariaDB ones.

My existing database was picked up and used without issues; the
transition was, on that level, pretty much seamless as far as I recall.
I might have needed to re-apply some configuration tweaks in different
config files, but nothing more than that.

This seems to imply that either migration is not required, or MariaDB
already performs the needed migration transparently. (Or else that I'm
forgetting some part of the transition process, which is not
impossible.)

I can imagine that there could be cases where migration would be
required, but I'm not aware of any, and it didn't even occur to me to
expect that I might need to do any in my own case. I expected that the
two would be seamlessly compatible on the database level, and that
expectation seems to have been borne out.

--
   The Wanderer