On Aug 01, Guus Sliepen <g...@debian.org> wrote:

> I see one big drawback of ifupdown2, and that is that it's written in
> Python. Nothing wrong with that language, but it means it pulls in
> dependencies which a minimal install currently doesn't require, which is
> not so nice for people running small VMs or embedded devices.
Indeed. I strongly believe that this is bad enough to disqualify it as
the default implementation.

We should also think hard about switching to a new default since
currently many other major distributions are moving to NetworkManager
and/or systemd-networkd (which nowadays is usable, works well for
simpler use cases and will be installed on every Debian system anyway).

--
ciao,
Marco