Josh Triplett writes ("Re: Computing Build-Depends at build time (and other
updates to debian/control)?"):
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 01:59:13PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > You should commit the generated debian/control to your version
> > control.
>
> Why?  That would break the standard principle that version control
> should never contain a generated file, rather than the inputs that
> generate it.  (Exactly the same reason "configure" doesn't belong in
> git, only "configure.ac".)  I can run the generator, build the result,
> and upload it.

I do not agree with this principle, but: fine, do what you like in
your own version control.  Users (and machines) who get your package
from the Debian archive (which is, of course, a (really bad) version
control system) will get what they expect.

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.