On 18/04/17 10:29, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-04-16 at 08:51 +0200, Evgeni Golov wrote:
>>> The solution is for people to configure a bridge or Open
>>> vSwitch (OVS) in /etc/network/interfaces.  (Notice OVS can be
>>> configured[4] in the interfaces file).  Maybe it would be
>>> useful to offer one or both of these options at install time,
>>> or even configure a standard (non-OVS) bridge by default in
>>> case the user decides to try KVM in future?
>>
>> IMHO the above implements option 1?
>>
>>> Are there other use cases apart from KVM that would benefit
>>> from this?
>>
>> I also use LXC on the same bridge, just for the fact that it is
>> already set up and provides DHCP, DNS and NAT.
>
> I used to have a similar setup but eventually migrated to a systemd
> based setup with systemd-networkd. With s-networkd, I have an
> independent bridge, which serves KVM/Libvirt, User Mode Linux and
> systemd-nspawn.

Could you give an example of how that is configured and what you need
in /etc/network/interfaces?  At some point I will also document how
I've done this with the Open vSwitch packages on both server and
desktop virtualization.

> VBox, running in bridged mode, used to have a network bug. I am not
> sure if that still applies.

That bug applies to a situation where VBox guests are in bridged mode
to a bridge in the host

I've been bridging them directly to eth0, without any bridge in the
host and haven't observed any problems like that one.

When XCP was in Debian, Open vSwitch was a mandatory part of the
platform but it didn't configure it in /etc/network/interfaces.  This
was slightly confusing if you had already configured interfaces,
although README.Debian explains[1] that you need to clobber the
interfaces file because XCP will automatically set up bridges and put
IP addresses on them during boot.

The key difference between the XCP approach and the KVM/libvirt
approach is that XCP would do everything for you, even with an empty
interfaces file, but with KVM/libvirt you do need to configure the
bridges and put IP addresses on them (using the normal interfaces
file) and declare them to libvirt with "virsh net-define" before using
them the first time.

Another thing that comes to mind is network-manager:

- for those who think a pre-configured bridge would make life
difficult, far worse has been said about network-manager but it is
still installed by default

- does network-manager have a way to help people setup a bridge
suitable for KVM/libvirt when doing virtualization on a desktop level?

Regards,

Daniel

1.
https://sources.debian.net/src/xen-api/1.3.2-15/debian/README.Debian/#L143