On Sun, Sep 02, 2018 at 11:39:08PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-09-02 at 19:46 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > If it's not tricky, a NMU should be able to fix it easily.
>
> I'm sorry Samuel, I asked both you and James Clarke, Cc:ed, for help on this
> issue and you both said it was not possible to NMU cmake, even if you are both
> DD's. See bugs
>
> I think that the power of a package maintainer is far too big, making it
> possible to reject/ignore important and other bugs, especially with patches,
> for
> non-released architectures (and effectively block NMUs).

The dev ref is quite clear about the right of porters to NMU:

# 5.10.2.2. When to do a source NMU if you are a porter
[...]
#   If you are a porter doing an NMU for unstable, the above
#   guidelines for porting should be followed, with two variations.
#   Firstly, the acceptable waiting period — the time between when
#   the bug is submitted to the BTS and when it is OK to do an NMU —
#   is seven days for porters working on the unstable distribution.
#   This period can be shortened if the problem is critical and
#   imposes hardship on the porting effort, at the discretion of the
#   porter group. (Remember, none of this is Policy, just mutually
#   agreed upon guidelines.) For uploads to stable or testing, please
#   coordinate with the appropriate release team first.

Broken cmake pretty much stops the whole port (as it has direct and indirect
rbdeps all around), this certainly counts as a "hardship".

> I think the next step would be to bring the responsibilities and commitments
> of
> a Package Maintainer to the TC, in addition to the full control of everything
> related to that package. Maybe the recent salvaging of packages could be
> helpful
> in the future regarding this problem.

Stopping a whole port for a reason as flimsy as "I'm not interested in
maintaining patches for things that clearly belong upstream." sounds like
something that warrants escalation, yeah.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ What Would Jesus Do, MUD/MMORPG edition:
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ • multiplay with an admin char to benefit your mortal [Mt3:16-17]