On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 01:06:54PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
I think Linux systems per se, Debian as a runtime, the (social)
processes required from DDs/DMs, the whole technical Debian packaging
ecosystem are each plenty complex enough already.
they IMHO should serve as a dimension to measure Debian's/Linux'
progress against and as a yard stick to measure our solutions against:

As a general principle I think this is an important thing to consider,
but not the sole criterion for any proposed enhancement to Debian. But
for sure an important one. I'm reminded of my dormant attempts to
measure and report on the "surface area" of debian development (which I
do hope to pick back up)

These points above do not imply that Lars' idea is bad and should not be
pursued.

Lars layed out a problem, your criterion should be used to measure
proposed solutions. The problem itself does not necessarily imply an
increase in complexity. For example we've discussed the idea of
declarative maintainer scripts as (part of) a potential solution: I'd
argue that these are far simpler than anything-goes shell scripts.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland