]] Ivan Shmakov

>       [I see I’ve managed to botch References: for the
>       news:linux.debian.devel readers; my apologies for that.]
>
>  >>> tinysshd only ships a systemd unit file; neomutt links against
>  >>> libgpgme11 which again Depends on gnupg.  It’s the kind of
>  >>> dependencies that individually make sense,
>
>       I beg to differ; I suppose (though haven’t actually tried) I
>       can start tinysshd straight from rc.local just as well, or even
>       write my own init.d script, right?  Having the dependency in
>       place just makes it harder to me to contribute an init.d script
>       for the package.

It actually doesn't, because installing systemd by itself does not
change the init system.  (As in, the dependency is wrong, and if it
wants to declare «only useful with systemd as init», it should depend on
systemd-sysv, not systemd.)  (Also the bits downthread wrt
Depends/Recommends.)

>  >> I disagree that libgpgme11 should depend/recommend/suggest gnupg
>  >> at all: As a library it cannot possibly declare how tight a
>  >> relationship to declare - instead, all _consumers_ of the library
>  >> must declare whether they depend/recommend/suggest gnupg.
>
>       I suppose I can agree with that.  AFAICR, the libgpgme11
>       maintainer was concerned that some of the users of the library
>       may break if gnupg is not available.  (Investigating that is
>       still in my to-do list.  Don’t hold your breath, however.)

Having some bits of a package not functional if Recommends is not
satisfied is fine, see
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=119517 for a TC ruling
on it.

--