On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 02:29:54PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> As far as I understand your summary it would be even
> "burning" a student if we would throw theses packaging task on a
> student in a GSoC / outreachy project (I'm aware that we are usually
> not supporting packaging tasks in these projects but it could be an
> exception in case my suspicion would be wrong).

How many percent of the paid GSoC and Outreachy student workers
continue unpaid afterwards and become a DM or DD?

My impression is that GSoC does not have a high quota,
and Outreachy is a complete failure.[1]

Assuming the student would succeed in creating packages,
what we would get would be some complex packaging of
packages with a very volatile upstream - and the only
person who understands the packaging is likely gone.

The work Mo spent on the already-outdated tensorflow package in
experimental was wasted if there is noone who continues maintaining it.
And the same would be true for other new packages if the packager
disappears afterwards.

What is actually needed are one (or ideally several) people with
a long-term commitment to maintain these packages.

cu
Adrian

[1] If anyone has data to prove that I am wrong, please let me to know.

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed