On Monday, 10 February 2020 1:01:05 PM AEDT Sean Whitton wrote:
> AIUI, the reason REJECT comments aren't public is because it might
> sometimes make people feel embarassed.

Then many reviews of a packaging work that is done by mentors would be
embarrassing but that's OK because everybody have a chance to learn from
those reviews. (Only those who don't do anything are never embarrassed).

> ITPs are great for avoiding duplicated effort in most cases.  However,
> there are cases in which it is possible for someone to know pretty much
> for sure that there is no chance of any duplicated effort.  In such
> cases ITPs are busywork, which is demotivating to volunteers.

No. ITPs are opportunities to team up with others, not merely for de-
duplication.

> For example, if I break out some mature code from a project and make its
> first upstream release as an independent library, and then I want
> immediately to upload it to NEW so that the next release of the project
> it was broken out from can depend on the new library, there is no reason
> to file an ITP.  Since I am the upstream author and the code has only
> just been released, I can be confident no-one else is going to try to
> package it.

That might be a valid situation but nevertheless how much effort it is to
file an ITP?? Not much even if filing new ITP is not mandated.
But when ITP is there, then it could be referred to as "blocked by" or
"blocking" bug, it can have "affects" relationships with other packages, etc.

Also you never know how long your package will stay in the NEW queue and
during this time lack of ITP could affect developers priorities.

> Another example is the Haskell team.  Due to the nature of the language,
> information on newly packaged libraries has to be committed to two
> different git repos, and so everyone working on Haskell in Debian is
> working from those two repos.  So again, no real danger of duplicated
> effort.

I've heard something similar about Rust team. Fair enough, maybe there are
some legitimate cases when ITPs could be safely avoided. Though it is nice to
have an ITP anyway as a record of what is being introduced -- for example
when package is rejected, ITP could capture discussion and reason for
rejection, which is always useful to have for posterity.

--
Best wishes,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

Richard Nixon got kicked out of Washington for tapping one hotel suite.
Today we're tapping every American citizen in the country, and no one has
been put on trial for it or even investigated. We don't even have an
inquiry into it.
        -- Edward Snowden