On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 at 23:59:33 +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> src:perl suddenly failed to build due to test suite
> failures.
>
> This was quickly diagnosed to be a result of passing the AI_ADDRCONFIG
> flag to getaddrinfo(3).

See also https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=952740 and
these maybe-related glibc bugs:

#952740 has some more references.

> glib2.0_2.64.3-1

I'm surprised GLib 2.64.x is affected, because
GLib since 2.63.1 has implemented the Internet-Draft
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-02>,
which I believe is also implemented in the major web browsers, and
should have made it bypass the issues that prompted me to open #952740.
(But perhaps something different is happening here.)

Older GLib versions (in buster and older) are unlikely to be fixed.

As I said on #952740, I don't think it's particularly
scalable for every consumer of the getaddrinfo() API (or at
least those that want to resolve and talk to localhost in
their unit tests) to have an independent reimplementation of
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-02>,
so it would be great if glibc could solve this for all of us at once.

    smcv